Thursday, April 2, 2009

Colorful Comments


By the title I am sure that you would think I might swear.  But that is not really what I mean.  As some may and may not know, three days a week I watch two other young boys besides my own two.  Starting with my daughter down to the youngest, each child is about 16 months or so apart.  Now, just staying home with these children can quite often be chaotic.  I personally prefer to be VERY active those days to make the time go quickly for everyone involved.  So we usually go out at least two of those three days, most the time we leave all three days.  We go to the zoo, to an indoor playground and gymnasium, Toddler Tuesday at the MOA, and other such adventures.  We have a great time and it is always worth the effort to leave the house in my personal opinion.  Every now and then I get a comment at how well behaved the kids all are.  The real purpose of my post is this...

Mostly everyone that sees me out and about cannot contain themselves and blurt out things like, "Are these children ALL yours", or "You must be very busy", or "My, aren't they CLOSE together" I could go on and on, but you get the drift.  I realize that at 30 years old I MAY look too young for that many, but alas it is possible.  I realize that in this day and age people aren't having this many children that close together, but alas there are SOME out there doing it.  I also realize that at times caring for four young children with ages such as these can be really difficult, but alas it still has to be done.  

Then there are those that just stare.  They can't tear their eyes away from our situation.  They look to the kids, then me, then the kids, then me...you get the drift.  Or like today at McDonald's, yes we ALL went to McDonald's, there was a mother and daughter that looked at us and then whispered between themselves.  I could not hear what they were saying, but since they felt the need to whisper I am sure it wasn't exactly edifying in any way.

It makes a person feel ashamed for what they have, what they have chosen.  It makes a person feel the need to explain, when really there is NO need.  Why do I always feel the need to tell whomever it is that asks that they are not all mine?

All this to say, I really only have two small kids.  So, from here on out I am vowing to tell every mother that is schlepping around the city with her brood that she has a beautiful family.  Maybe I will tell her that she is doing a great job.  I might even say, "I wish I had that many children."  Just to make her feel proud of all she is doing and all she has. 

Cause really, if you have four or more kiddos every day...you deserve an award and some praise...and probably a vacation!

1 comment:

Jess :) said...

Love that post!! How true is that! In fact, that just happened to me this past weekend when I was nannying and I only had 2 kids with me. However, most people think I look like I'm in high school, so...boy oh boy ~ were people staring. Just sad.

Oh well. I'm always proud to be with kids and have the pleasure of taking care of them, as you well know! Therefore, I'm going to take the same approach as you praise other mothers for their families!!

Again, just another reason why I LOVE YOU so incredibly much!! Such a HUGE and GENEROUS heart you have!! :)

P.S. Love the new blog look!!